Monday, September 2, 2013

Cardboard Finger Puppets

Hello all! How was everyone's weekend? Mine sure was exciting and fulfilling. I went to two design exhibits on Saturday, and yesterday we launched the first issue of Katha Magazine. So, if you haven't read it, you should check it out.

Anyway, this project is about making finger puppets, which is useful if you're into story telling with kids. Let me show you how to make them :)

We may have been eating a lot of cereal recently, especially since my nieces have been chowing on these for snack. That's why we have many cereal boxes lying around the house. Why not put them to good use?

I just used a small coin to trace the circles. And then I started doodling. I didn't really have a story in mind, so these characters were just drawn randomly.

Then I started cutting my characters with a pair of scissors. The cereal box was thicker than regular paper so I had to use bigger scissors... but I didn't realize it was going be difficult to cut those small circles with a huge pair! If you have a circle cutter that's about 3/4" in diameter then I guess life will be easier.

When you're done cutting your characters, start adding color! I used water color pencils for this. After coloring them with the pencils, dip your paint brush on water and lightly dab it on the cardboard until the colors are well blended. Once everything is dry, you can start playing with them! Yay!

And since I just drew random characters without even thinking of stories, I will just have to make one up. Like this one. I call this "The King Who Loves Animals"

And this one is... "Babushka and Her Dancing Daughter" haha.

Make sure your fingers could fit in there :)

Who would have thought? You could use four fingers! This could be useful for the story "The Very Hungry Caterpillar"

We enjoyed making this, as well as making up voices for different characters :)

Even my two year old niece enjoyed playing with it!

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Thats a very very clever idea. I'm looking forward to try it with my little one.

    vflorarte.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope your little one enjoys it :)

      Delete
    2. I finally try it and she really enjoys it.
      I wright a post inspired from your idea and i mentioned your blog

      http://wp.me/p33c7C-eJ

      tnx again for sharing

      Delete
    3. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog! You're so sweet :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...