Wednesday, August 7, 2013

Old Bread Pudding

I had not touched my bag of wheat bread for days and I didn't want them to be moldy. And I most certainly did not want to throw them away. What to do with old bread? Bake some pudding with it.

We used to make this when I was younger. But in this version I added apple chunks for flavor.


Ingredients:
- 6 cups wheat bread broken down into cubes
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 chopped apple
- 2 cups evaporated milk
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 2 medium sized eggs
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. Preheat the oven at 350F.
2. Grease your baking pan with butter. I used a 8"x10" baking pot for this. Place the bread cubes, raisins and chopped apples on the pan.
3. In a mixing bowl combine the milk, butter, eggs, honey, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour the mixture over the bread and make sure all the pieces of bread are soaked.
5. Bake it in the oven for 40-50 minutes or until the center is firm and you shouldn't feel that squishy liquidy texture.
6. Serve it with vanilla sauce or whatever kind of sauce that goes well with bread pudding. This recipe makes 8 servings.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...