Friday, June 21, 2013

Upcycled T-shirt Headband

Today I will show you how to put your old shirts to good use by turning them into headbands.


Look for old shirts that are made of cotton jersey, so that it will nicely curl into thin strips when stretched. I had pretty bright shirts that I don't use anymore. But I chose the neon pink for this project.


Cut them into strips, about 2 inches wide, and for the length it should be twice as long as the circumference of your head. I had to use sticky tape to keep the shirt from moving while i was cutting it.


Then stretch each strip as far as you can. This will curl the sides of the strip. It should look something like the one on the photo below. Then for the accent at the middle portion of the headband, I made a knot that looks like an infinity sign. You can also watch the video on how to do the knot on Sugar Bee Crafts


After that, I did a fishtail braid on both sides of the headband.


You can sew both ends together. But I have poor sewing skills. That's why I never sewed for fabric projects. Anyway, what I did was I tied both ends together cut the edges. I know it looks messy. You can cover that with a piece of cloth


And here's the finished product:


I wore this today when I went out for a jog with my dad. It was pretty snug and it did not loosen on my head all throughout our jog. 

Hope you like this tutorial!


4 comments:

  1. great idea. I have TONS of old t-shirts that I use for crafts. My daughter just learned how to braid, so this would be a great next step. Thanks!- thebarefootmom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there! I'm glad you find this useful. I hope your daughter enjoys making this :)

      Delete
  2. Hi Catherine,

    What a cute project! I love it so much that I decided to feature it in our roundup of old t-shirt crafts! Check it out here: http://www.favecrafts.com/blog/fc/t-shirt-crafts/

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, thanks Julia! That is so nice of you! :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...