Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Home Made Peanut Butter

When I was a kid I used to think that peanut butter is made by crushing peanuts and mixing it with butter. Of course that was a ridiculous idea, I'm sure many people also thought of that. But now I know it's easy to make peanut butter! No real butter needed. Just plain peanuts.


Here are the following that you will need:
- 4 cups dry roasted peanuts
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tbsp honey
- vegetable oil (optional)

Pour the peanuts on the food processor and blend until the it forms into a pasty consistency. Add the salt and honey and blend some more. You can add more honey or salt, until you are satisfied with the flavor. The peanuts actually contain a lot of oil that's why it becomes pasty when blended well. But if you want a creamier texture, you can add a little bit of vegetable oil. 

The last part is optional because I noticed that the oil rose to the surface when you set the peanut butter aside. I guess it's because it's home made and unlike the peanut butter that you buy from the grocery, the oil is not hydrogenated. (Check the ingredients at the back of the label, usually it says hydrogenated coconut oil.)


So that's the basic peanut butter. You can also make additional flavors using that kind of peanut butter. I made spiced peanut butter by adding a little bit of cinnamon, brown sugar and nutmeg. Another one is banana chocolate. I just added mashed banana and melted milk chocolate in my peanut butter. Try to experiment on different flavors. I even found curry flavored peanut butter in the internet!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...