Sunday, February 24, 2013

Paper Mache Bowls

Hi all! Today I am posting how I made these paper mache bowls. I have seen these on Etsy and thought I'd give it a try.


Materials I used:
- balloons
- strips of old newspaper or scratch paper
- paper mache adhesive (1:1 ratio of water and white glue), or mod podge
- white paint
- paint in your choice of color
- acrylic emulsion, or mod podge

First, inflate your balloons. I did these in different sizes.


Use a pen to guide you on how high or low you want your bowl to be. Next, cut strips of scratch paper or newspaper. Put them on your balloon one by one while brushing paper mache paste on each strip. To make the adhesive I just mixed one part glue with one part water. I have read on the internet that some people used Mod Podge because they say it's sturdier.


Let them dry for 24 hours. Try knocking on the bottom part of the bowl, you should hear a good audible knock if it's dry. If it's still wet, the knocking sound won't be that loud. Pop the balloon and remove the excess rubber. Trim the edge of the bowls to remove the uneven paper strips.


Prime the bowls using white paint. I used acrylic paint for this.


When the white paint has dried up, you can now paint them in whatever colors you want. I tried painting the inside portion into gold and the outer portion into black. Then I added a coat of acrylic emulsion for shine. Again, you can use Mod Podge to get that shiny effect.


This bowl is made of paper mache so I don't think you want to eat cereal with this. It's best for decorative purposes. You can place your keys, coins, or rings on these bowls.


Recommendations:
- If I'm going to do this in the future, I'd probably use mod podge. They say it's better and it produces harder paper bowls. 
- I'd also try using gold leaf on the inner portion instead of painting them with gold paint. I don't know how to use gold leaf though. I still need to learn more about it.
- I shouldn't have trimmed the edges again after painting the bowl. That made the white paper exposed as you can see in the photos.

Practice makes perfect! I think it's a pretty gift that you can make to friends so I'll try these again next time until I'm satisfied with the results.

6 comments:

  1. Nice, I like the gold color you put it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll try other colors next time and see if they work :)

      Delete
  2. These are awesome! I actually really like the white edge. I'm gonna have to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, really? Thanks for your comment! I guess it's got a different character than the ones on Etsy :)

      Delete
  3. You can also use silicone sealant if you want a harder paper. :^) patsy

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...