Saturday, January 26, 2013

Trying out Recipes for Microwavable Mug Cakes


Whoever created the concept of baking a single serving cake in the microwave is a genius. It's like you are just 5 minutes away from devouring a cake you prepared yourself. 

The first time I tried this was when I was still in the university and I was fascinated by the idea. Now I can't believe I can also make different kinds of cakes in the microwave thanks to the creative people who post recipes in the internet!


I found three different recipes and tried them all. Unfortunately while I was preparing the ingredients, I found out that our microwave is not working. It's okay to bake these in the oven at 375 F for 20-25 minutes.

And I was feeling fancy, so I used ramekins instead of mugs. 


Here are the recipe for Lemon Mug Cake, Chocolate Mug Cake, and Carrot Mug Cake:


Lemon Mug Cake


Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp softened butter
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp lemon extract
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp flour

Directions:
1. Cream together butter, sugar, lemon extract, vanilla, salt with a fork in a large mug.
2. Add baking powder, egg, lemon juice and mix well.
3. Add flour. Mix well.
4. Microwave for 2 1/2 to 3 minutes.


I substituted lemon with calamansi, and sprinkled dayap zest and powdered sugar after baking.
I thought this cake was too... spongey or eggy? The egg flavor is overpowering the citrus flavor. 

Not my favorite cake among the three, or maybe I was expecting the cake to taste like my sister's lemon crinkles. Haha.




Chocolate Mug Cake
Source: Unknown. It's been all over the internet since 2008 or earlier, I don't know who started this recipe.


Ingredients:
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp flour
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp milk
- 3 tbsp oil
- splash of vanilla

Directions:
1. Place all dry ingredients in the mug and mix
2. Add the egg and mix
3. Add the vanilla essence and mix
4. Cook in the microwave for 3 minutes.


This was the first ever microwave recipe that I tried. It's better than the lemon mug cake, but still meh. I should have added more cocoa powder or melted dark chocolate to make it rich.




Carrot Mug Cake


Ingredients:
- 6 tbsp flour
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp nutmeg powder
- 6 tbsp buttermilk
- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/4 tsp vanilla
- 3 tbsp finely grated carrot
- 1 tbsp chopped almonds
- 1 tbsp raisins

Directions:
1. Add sifted flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and mix well with a fork.
2. Add buttermilk, oil, vanilla, grated carrot, mix well.
3. Add chopped almonds and raisins. Mix well
4. Microwave for 2-2 1/2 minutes.

This is my favorite among the three. And I think the big difference is that this recipe has no eggs in it. It's soft, quite moist, and not too sweet. I like it!


Since I baked them in the oven, I don't really know the difference in flavor if you cook them in the microwave. 


I'd like to try more recipes for mug cakes like red velvet, or black forest perhaps?


No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...