Sunday, January 27, 2013

No Sew DIY Fabric Letters

This is the project that I have been trying to work on for almost a year. It was supposed to be a birthday present for my cousin but I have forgotten about it. Finally I was able to finish it today.

I am going to show you how I made no sew fabric letters. I did this as decoration for my little cousin's bedroom.



First I printed the template for the letters on paper and traced them on the cardboard. These 3D cardboard letters are about 1 1/2 inches thick, or thick enough for the letters to stand.


Next I added some fluff from an old pillow, but make sure the cotton is clean. I used plain white glue to stick them on the cardboard. Let it dry for about 5 minutes.


Trace the letter on the fabric with a pencil. When you cut it make sure you have allowance for wrapping a little bit of the fabric at the sides of the cardboard letters.

This is a no sew project, so I used hot glue to stick the fabric onto the cardboard.


Wrap the cardboard letters with fabric on both sides. This is how it looked like:


It's okay if your letters are a bit messy at the sides. You can hide your mess by covering it with strips of fabric.


I folded the fabric strip and secured it on the 3D letters with hot glue as well.


Tada! Here is the final product. Hopefully my little cousin will like this. 


Making these no sew fabric letters is not so hard at all. But I'd like to learn how to sew someday so I can make more projects with fabric :)



6 comments:

  1. This is so awesome! Galing! :) I'm a fan hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Drea! My cousin and her parents love it :)

      Delete
  2. Can you recommend a font for the letter "S" so it has a solid stand?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Katie! For a stable "S"you can use any serif font. Or if you want sans serif, just flatten the bottom portion of the "S" so it will stand up. Just like what I did with the letter O.

      Delete
    2. Aaaah, now I see the flat bottom... Thank you so much! :-)

      Delete
  3. This is great!
    I'll try making the same for my kids :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...