Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Downton Abbey Inspired Bedroom

So I was wondering why that show called Downton Abbey is so popular. I got curious and watched the first episode, then the next episode, and before I knew it I was already done with the second season! 

What's so appealing about this show are the juicy gossip and the scandals of an aristocratic family. I also like that it relates to the past events of Britain such as the first world war, the sinking of Titanic, and also the innovations throughout the history like having electricity, the telephone and the gramophone.

 Watching this show makes you want to have that kind of lifestyle. Aside from that, I like what the set designers did to the interiors. This show inspires me to make a mood board.



Photo from guardian.co.uk

Photo from fanpop.com



Among all the bedrooms that I have seen in all episodes of Downton Abbey, Lady Sybil's is my favorite. Compared to Lady Mary's bedroom which is a dark, Lady Sybil's room is light and airy, which is what I like in a bedroom.

Basically the keywords for this look are feminine, fresh, pastel, and floral.

Here is the mood board that I made.



 Wallpaper

While watching I wasn't really looking at Mrs. Hughes in this shot. I was looking at the pretty wallpaper. It's not as old looking as the other bedrooms at Downton.



Choose wallpaper in damask or trellis pattern. Keep the pattern subtle by choosing light colors.  Pastels are recommended like lilac, cream and powder blue. Light colored wallpaper will catch and bounce more natural light into your bedroom.

Kelly Wearstler - Imperial Trellis Alabaster, Cole & Son - St. Petersburg Damask, Graham & Brown - Elizabeth Beige Damask

Paint Colors

Paint your doors, mouldings, ceiling, door frames and window frames white. And alternative for the wallpaper is to paint your walls in creamy neutral colors. Stick to whites and greys.
Farrow and Ball - Great White, Farrow and Ball - Off White, Farrow and Ball - Skimming Stone, Farrow and Ball - Wimborne White, Farrow and Ball - Cornforth White


Curtain Fabric

The curtains at the background are so pretty, just like Lady Sybil. I have researched through the internet and have discovered that most Edwardian interiors use "chintz" for their curtains.


Add accent colors to your room through the floral pattern for your curtains.
 Cath Kidston - Spring Bouquet, Cath Kidston - Birds and Roses, Fabrics and Papers - Lady Rose Curtain Fabric

Upholstered Seating

as for upholstered seating just what Lady Edith is sitting on...


use cream colored or white upholstered fabric. It's also nice to have tufting on your chair.

Anthropologie - Sand Linen Corrigan Chair, Williams Sonoma - White French Chair, Pottery Barn - Middleton Armchair


Dark Wood Furniture

I spot a big armoire,


and a writing table both in dark wood. To balance out the the light and airy characters of the room, use dark wood for the furniture. Contrast is key.


You can add a vanity table or a writing desk into your bedroom. Adding a canopy bed would also be lovely especially if you decorate it with sheer draping.

Bobkona Furniture - St. Croix Collection Vanity Set, Pottery Barn - Farmhouse Canopy Bed, Pottery Barn - Devon Campaign Bedside Table, Pottery Barn - Farmhouse Chifforobe

Accessories

Look at how Lady Sybil (or at least the house maid of Lady Sybil) arranged her decor on the fireplace. And I love that huge mirror, it makes the room look bigger.


I spot a nice gold frame with an oil painting in it. How about that porcelain bowl and pitcher?


Don't forget to put loosely arranged flowers on your bedside table to add color to your room.


I usually see these glass decanters in the bedroom whenever I watch some episodes. You can use glass jars and bottles to store your perfume or maybe even to stash your cookies.

from Lonny

Use shiny and gold items like candle holders and picture frames, chintz pattern on porcelain, and glass for your jewelry box.



Here are more photos for inspiration that I found through Lonny Magazine's website.

from Lonny

from Lonny

from Lonny

from Lonny


I'll be posting more Downton Abbey inspired looks probably for kitchen and living room next time :)

2 comments:

  1. I've been meaning to watch but I haven't gotten around to it yet! But everything's so pretty <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Go watch na! You will probably pause and rewind many times to take a good look at their rooms.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...