Sunday, July 8, 2012

Magnolia Bakery Recipe - Vanilla Cupcake With Buttercream Frosting

For my parents' wedding anniversary, I decided to bake cupcakes for them. Please take note that I'm not really a big baking expert, I just love to eat.

I remember going to this cute cupcake store in New York called Magnolia Bakery, which I'm sure most of you have heard of. They say it's a must-go-to place when you are traveling to New York City. I ordered their red velvet cupcakes which were pretty good but I never got to try their vanilla cupcakes.

They were giving away their recipe for their vanilla cupcake and buttercream frosting all over the internet so I gave it a shot.


Cupcake Ingredients:
- 1 1/2 cup self rising flour
- 1 1/4 cup cake flour
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 4 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Line cupcake pans with paper liners.
- Chop butter into cubes and set aside.
- Whisk the eggs in a bowl and set aside.
- Combine the milk and vanilla
- In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients: cake flour, self rising flour, and sugar
- Combine the butter cubes with the dry ingredients using a mixer
- Add half of the milk and vanilla mixture and mix it well at medium speed
- Slowly pour in the eggs and the rest of the milk and vanilla mixture and mix at low speed until it turns nice and fluffy
- Scoop the batter into the pans (about 3/4 full)
- Bake for 20-25 minutes

Frosting Ingredients:
- 1 cup softened unsalted butter
- 4 cups confectioners sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions:
- Cream butter in a mixing bowl
- Add vanilla and sugar on cup at a time
- When mixture starts to thicken add 2 tbsp of milk
- Beat on medium speed until smooth and creamy
- Add more milk for thinner consistency
- Store icing at room temperature

I wasn't brave enough to do that famous Magnolia Bakery swirl. I heard it takes 40 hours to perfect that swirl technique. So I just placed a dollop of icing and smoothened it with a spatula. I sprinkled some golden hearts for that "extra love" heehee.


The Verdict:
I have to be honest here. I don't like the icing because it felt like I was eating a whole stick of butter. Although the cake batter was light and easy to handle, there wasn't really anything special with the flavor. I suggest adding lemon zest to it.

Maybe if you have a sweet tooth, you'd love it. I have been eating healthy for the past month (no sweets, no fast food, no soda, mostly fruits and veggies and soy) maybe that's why my taste buds are not used to this type of richness anymore.



I checked my calorie counter app and found out that this vanilla cupcake is 389 calories. So much for dieting! Haha.

I guess what I will do next time is I should try to make desserts that are much more healthier and less fattening.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...