Sunday, July 15, 2012

Healthy Stuffed Peppers

It has been a whole month of me eating healthy and heading to the gym and I have been doing great! I will be sharing a dish that has been my recent favorite: Stuffed Peppers. 

Again, I'm not a chef and I don't cook for the family. It's just that recently I enjoyed preparing healthy food for myself because I know and I am sure of what the ingredients are and how the food is done.

Here are the ingredients that I used for my stuffed peppers:
- 3 bell peppers (as you can see in the photo I only have two big peppers and one small pepper)
- 1 cup of ground turkey or beef. (for a healthier option, I used tuna)
- 2 cups of cooked rice
- 2 small tomatoes, diced
- 2 celery stalk and leaves included, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- Grated cheese
- Salsa
- Dried herbs, salt, pepper

But you may also add these ingredients:
- Corn kernels
- Chilli powder
- Mexican beans
- Roasted pine nuts

First you need to slice the top portion of the pepper. Remove the seeds and the insides of the pepper. Instead of discarding, you may mince the top portion of the pepper and use it for the stuffing.

Next you need to cook the garlic and onions with the meat. In a large bowl, mix the rice, the cooked meat and the rest of the chopped vegetables. The stuffing that you place inside the emptied bell peppers looks like this. To me it looks like you can already eat this without the pepper.


After stuffing them in the peppers, top with a spoonful of salsa and sprinkle grated cheese on top. Bake at 350F for 30 minutes. I didn't want my peppers too soft. I prefer them to be a little bit raw and crunchy. When it's done, you can sprinkle more grated cheese if you want to. Let the peppers cool a bit, take photos of your food, and eat.


They're so bright and colorful and super healthy!

You see, when I was making these stuffed peppers I wasn't following any recipe. I just thought of the ingredients that would go well together and I didn't even think if the proportions I used were correct. These peppers that I made were not perfect, but they were good enough that my sisters ate them and finished them and they were full after the meal.

So to save you from any cooking disaster, you can follow the recipes from the links below:
http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/food/everydayrecipes/1033833/mexican-rice-stuffed-capsicums
http://www.tasteofhome.com/Recipes/Mexican-Style-Stuffed-Peppers

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...