Monday, July 9, 2012

Fruit and Yogurt Ice Pops

I have been wanting to make ice pops at home. I remember when I was younger we'd make ice pops from Tang orange juice or Kool Aid.. And instead of those sugary candy ice pops, you can make a healthier version using real fruits and yogurt.

I bought silicone ice pop molds from Saizen. I prefer using silicone molds rather than those hard plastic ones because the silicone molds are more flexible and it won't break your ice pop when you try to remove it.

From Saizen

You can use whatever fruits you have at home. I made two flavors: banana combined with raspberry, and mango combined with lemon. Next time I'm going to try strawberry-kiwi. I even read a blog post about the basil-lemon combination, which I'd better try in the future.



For the banana-berry yogurt ice pop, I chopped one banana and placed it in a blender with a handful (or two) of raspberries, and 1/2 cup of yogurt. After blending, I did some layering in the popsicle mould. First layer is a spoonful of plain yogurt, next layer is your blended fruits and yogurt, and last layer is just another spoon of plain yogurt.


For the mango-lemon yogurt ice pop, I used one sliced mango with 2 teaspoons of lemon juice, and 1/2 cup of yogurt. Again, first layer is plain yogurt, next layer is the blended fruits and yogurt, and last layer is plain yogurt.


Some people, like my sister, may find the yogurt ice pops sour. I however don't mind the sourness because this dessert is supposed to be a healthy version of your ice cream/ice pop. If you prefer to have sweeter yogurt ice pops, you can add sugar (it's up to you how many spoons of sugar you add) to plain yogurt. Whisk it until the sugar is well mixed with the yogurt.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...