Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Baked Stuffed Tomatoes

I am posting another healthy stuffed recipe that I prepared last night for my next day's lunch. It's so much easier to prepare my office lunch the night before. Saves me a lot of time in the morning. Last weekend I found these big tomatoes in the supermarket and thought of making vegetable stuffed tomatoes. Here is how:

(I modified the recipe from tasteofhome)

Ingredients:
- 2 medium tomatoes
- 1/2 small carrot
- 1/2 celery stalk
- 1/2 small onion
- 1 small garlic clove
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano (I may have added more)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup bread crumbs
- 2 tablespoons (or more?) feta cheese cubes. I used Apetina.
- I included and pitted the olives that were part of the feta cheese pack
- 1 teaspoons dried basil

Preheat the oven at 350F. Slice off the top of the tomatoes, scoop out the pulp and set aside. You will use that for the stuffing. Place the tomatoes upside down on paper towels to drain.


Dice the onions, carrots, celery, tomato pulp, and garlic. Or if you have a food processor, you may use that to save time.


Saute the vegetable mixture and oregano in olive oil. Add wine or broth and simmer for a couple of minutes. Remove it from the heat, add the breadcrumbs and the feta cheese cubes. Mix mix mix.


Stuff the tomatoes with the mixture and top them with another batch of feta cheese. Sprinkle dried basil leaves. Place the tomatoes on a baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.


Tada! It's 182 calories a tomato. Maybe you can drizzle olive oil and balsamic vinegar. I haven't tried it though. One tomato is enough to fill me for a whole meal. 


Please try them and let me know what you think. Maybe you can modify the recipe as well.

2 comments:

  1. Uyy this looks good. Try ko minsan! I'm looking up other recipes to try for baon na mabilis at masarap. :) So far, I've been experimenting on wraps and sandwiches!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Next time I'm gonna try tortilla wraps :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...