Saturday, June 23, 2012

DIY Paper Flowers

I absolutely love to use flowers as accessories in a room but I also hate the fact that they eventually wilt and lose their color. An alternative solution to that wilting-flowers issue is to make your own paper flowers instead. I searched the internet for instructions on paper flowers and have found two styles that look totally real.

1. Watercolor Paper Roses

I found instructions on marthastewart on how to do the coffee filter roses. Also here is a video from JenMarissa and it's easy to understand


- First you need to download the templates hereYou will need eight coffee filters for a full bloom.
- Trace the template on your coffee filters and cut them. After this wrap the coffee filter petals around the wire (in order). Secure them with tape for every petal
- Paint the petals with the base color using water color. Make sure your paint is has plenty of water because the coffee filter is very absorbent.
- Once it has dried out, your can paint the edges of the petals with a different color. And let it dry once more.
- After your flower has been fully dried out, your can open up the petals by gently pulling them so that your flower can have a full bloom look.


I went crazy with the watercolor that's why my paper roses look "watercolory"







2. Cupcake Liner Peonies

I found the instructions for the paper peonies through Michella Marie. She used coffee filters but in my case, since I don't have that kind of coffee filter, I just used cupcake liners. The liners are pretty thin so I had to be extra careful.

- Fold the cupcake liners and round the edges.  I only have one size of cupcake liner so for the first few layers, you might want to cut the liner shorter. 
- Pinch and twist the liners one by one and midway, wrap the end with floral tape. Then keep adding the next layers until it's done.







3 comments:

  1. Love making flowers, too! Yours are lovely!
    Thanks for taking the time to write me, I really appreciated!
    Monica.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Monica for visiting my blog :)
      Catherine

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful baby. She made me laugh. I must say you gave the best tutorial I've seen on this and I looked at about a bagillion and ten. I also hated the floral tape and used hot glue instead but now I want to try duct tape.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...