I wanted to make a little experiment with popcorn when I saw a video on HeyKayli's YouTube channel about how to make Caramel Popcorn Balls. They're such a delicious treat for Mothers Day that everyone with a sweet tooth can enjoy!
Yield: 20 balls (3 inch diameter)
Here are the ingredients:
- 2 sticks of butter (or 1 cup of butter)
- 1 cup of heavy cream
- 3 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of honey
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 1 1/2 cup of corn kernels
I bought three bags of microwavable popcorn just for the convenience of having them cooked instantly in the microwave oven. Unfortunately I found out that the microwave oven at home was not working so I removed all the kernels from the bag, placed them in a huge pot, added some oil, turned up the heat and waited for the popping sound. Apparently you can cook microwavable popcorn without a microwave oven.
Anyway, all you have to do is:
- Pop the popcorn.
- After this, cook the caramel by mixing all the rest of the ingredients except for the vanilla in the pot and bring to a boil. Make sure that the caramel is cooked at 230 F.
- After maybe about 10 minutes remove the pot from heat and then add the vanilla.
- Pour the caramel onto a bowl of popcorn and mix well. Wait for the popcorn to cool a bit by laying them on trays.
- When they are warm enough, you can use your hands to form the popcorn into balls. I made them to about 3 inches in diameter. You can make smaller balls or larger balls. To prevent the caramel from sticking to your hands, dip your hands in cold water.
- Place them on a plate or cupcake liners.
And there you have it! Looks good right?
Just be careful about the proportions of the caramel and popcorn, if you add too much caramel, it will be really sweet. If you find the caramel too sweet, you can sprinkle some cinnamon to add an additional flavor to the popcorn.
Hope you enjoy it!